If your dream is to have an Apple’s Mac just because you like it’s OS, this is the right place to learn how to install OS X on your PC.
This type of computer is called OSX86 or Hackintosh but it’s forbidden (illegal) as established by the Mac OS X EULA.
There are many methods to build an Hackintosh but we will use iAtkos ML2.
Warning: The informations contained in this guide are for educational purposes only.
- A computer that alredy runs OS X (you can borrow it from a friend or other people)
- A computer that is Hackintosh-compatible (read the Hackintosh compatibility guide - IMPORTANT!)
- Torrent client (uTorent, Vuze, BitTorrent, …)
- iAtkos ML2 (click here to download it)
- An empty USB drive with 8 GB (or more)
- ML2_Bootloader_Installer.pkg (click here to download it)
1. Creating the iAtkos ML2 USB drive
Mount the iAtkos ML2 dmg file, plug your usb in the Mac, open Disk Utility from the Utilities folder in you Mac’s applications and format the USB drive to Mac Journaled.
Click one time on the image file mounted earlier and go to the restore tab. Drag your USB drive’s PARTITION (not the device) from the sidebar to the destination field and click on the Restore button. Click on the Erase button in the new window that appeared and then type your password.
Wait for the process to complete, it will take from 30 minutes to 45 minutes.
2. Configuring the BIOS
After creating you iAtkos USB drive you have to configure the BIOS of the PC in which are you going to install the OSX.
Restart your PC and go to the BIOS settings, go to the Power Management Setup and set the HPET mode to 64-bit.
Go back and set the SATA control mode to AHCI in the Integrated Peripherals page.
3. Boot the iAtkos ML2 installer (USB drive)
Restart your PC and press the key for the Boot menu and select your USB drive.
4. Installing OS X 10.8.2 Mountain Lion
Once you selected your main language you will be prompted to an another windows and a bar at the top will appear.
In the top bar click on the Utilities menu and then select Disk Utility.
Select your hard drive, go to the Erase tab, rename your drive and format it to Mac Journaled by clicking on to the Erase button.
- iATKOS will not boot if you have a partition larger than 1TB
- You can only install OS X on a hard drive that has a MBR partition scheme
Close Disk Utility and click on continue.
Select your partitioned hard disk and click on Customize. Here you can select all the drivers that you want to install.
After selecting your drivers click on OK and then click on Install.
When the installation will be complete click on Restart or it will do it automatically.
After the reboot you will asked for some details, and finally your OS X will be ready.
If you have some problems during your OSX86 usage you can visit this website for troubleshooting them.